homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:17:58 -0500

On Nov 15, 2007 2:34 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> OK, setting all that aside, let's fantasize that we could easily get to
> all
> that oil instantly. Let's put the world's oil straw in that field and
> slurp.
> At our current rate of oil consumption, how long would that 8 billion
> barrels
> last?
>
> About three months.
>
> Yes, indeed, I'm looking beyond oil. I seem to be one of the only ones
> though.

James, I appreciate the dialogue you and Gene have been having, similar to
others we've had on the list before and will again. The more everyone is
exposed to what is and will happen around the whole peak oil problem, the
better off we may be in the long run.

It's a scary idea to think through if you're used to regularly filling up
your car as I do while I taxi my children and foster client to appointments
and for sports (not to mention other errands), but I prefer the unsettling
queasy feeling in my stomach that occurs every single time I read about Peak
Oil to not knowing anything about it. We often tell our sons that they may
not have helped cause the problem (unless you count the gas consumed for the
ride they needed to/from soccer) but they will be part of the solution.

Life will be different down the road. The sooner we all learn and understand
how to change and deal with it, the better.

Lisa