homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rolling Stone article on James Lovelock

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rolling Stone article on James Lovelock
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:18:21 -0500

Gene,

And thanks for your appreciation. I am almost 'compelled' now to add another link to a work I recently completed reading, free pdf downloads of the chapters from a little known self-published 500 page book called PRIORITY ONE ... Together We Can Beat Global Warming, by Allen C Yeomans from Australia.

A review doing it justice would be too much here, but I found it packed with unfamiliar information and seminal ideas I had never before considered. Yet very readable. His depictions of early earth history, and his Father's work with the US 'dust bowl' reclamation alongside such heavys as Bromfield and Rodale, his atmospheric and soil science, and particularly his case for re-stablishment of soil fertility as the only realistic way to sequester the excess carbon back into the earth (within ten years!) was so stimulating to me that I read the entire book practically without a break, even though I seldom read lengthy text onscreen.

Like Lovelock, he has turned again towards nuclear energy as one part of his three-pronged approach. Not that I have accepted everything he states as gospel, but it did set me to thinking. Yeoman's may have some bias, being a manufacturer of sub-soiling equipment. The question is, do enough of us have the will to do what we could do if his calculations are true? I have my doubts about that, and suspect Lovelock is correct in directing focus to how some can survive the inevitable consequences of the choices we have already made. Of course, the lessor the effects, and the longer they can be forestalled , the better our chances for survival. No matter what we do, it appears we are in for quite a ride. jerry b

http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/priority-one-contents.htm