homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:50:14 -0700

On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

There is also a corpus of information on "peak uranium". The end of easily had
reactor grade urnaium is in sight and if we were to accelerate the use of it,
we'd run out much faster.

Here is a source that says there is enough uranium to last 6,000 years:

".NUCLEAR...

.. France is 100% nuclear plus 15% hydro, so it exports the excess carbon-free power to Spain, and makes a good profit. Other EU countries complain that French nuclear power is too competitive.

If France also switched to biofuels, like Brazil, it would be the first Western affluent country on the planet with zero anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

Then we all do the same

If the CO2 is dumped freely into the air, then a coal fired power station, close to an open cut coal mine can produce the cheapest electricity. Nuclear electricity is only marginally dearer. Only hydro can be cheaper, but most of the good sites are already utilized.

Electricity from gas and oil is two or three times coal and nuclear prices. Wind energy and solar energy are four to over ten times the price of coal and nuclear. Wave and tidal power prices are worse still and with insignificant serious generating potential.

Nuclear waste is a tiny problem with dozens of safe and cheap solutions. Nuclear energy is also sustainable energy. Using breeder reactors we have enough, easily mined uranium to last us for 6000 years.

We have to go nuclear"

http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/index.htm

(This is the new guy Jerry is trying to seduce me into reading. So far, he looks worth the time.)