homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:22:05 -0400

Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

The natives here were mostly semi nomadic but within carefully described and rather small boundaries with movement proscribed by seasonal food supplies. Some were in more or less permanent settlements in areas where water and food were available for most of the year. Many maintained farms.

There is sufficient surface water and springs to support a significant but small population here. With dams and water control the maximum population that can be supported is about 5% of the current 2 million population. Surface water and springs can support about half that.

That pretty much answers my initial question. I've been to Phoenix and LA, but not points in between or south.
I haven't spent a whole lot of time in CA, but to me, it seems like 3 different states...you got So Cal, Valley and Middle Cal-ranch and farm style, and everything north of San Fran-mountain-rural(and beautiful from what I've seen) Cal. :)

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.