homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:30:33 -0800

Two of my aunts and an uncle were carted off to the boarding school at Hoopa. That one was run for awhile by the Shakers. My uncle had appendicitis when he was there. He was told to stop acting up and trying to get attention and that IF he were in pain it was because god was punishing him because he was a dirty heathen. The once a month doctor came through and decided the problem was appendicitis and operated on him. He was then carried back to his room, no post op, no bed rails and plopped on the bed and left til the next morning. Coming out of anesthesia, he rolled off the bed, burst the sutures and bled to death. Sonny was 12.

Grampa took my two aunts home and refused to allow them to return to the school. And refused to allow my mother or other uncle to go to the school. He was lucky because he worked for the local lumber baron and his son, the Carons of Carson house fame. The Carsons stepped in and the government left them alone.

The Carsons also stepped in and got my uncle returned to the family cemetary for burial. The church in Hoopa demanded that he be buried in their cemetary so that he could be saved.

My one aunt refused to acknowledge her heritage until the late 70s. Her children didn't know anything about their heritage. Aunty found the whitest white man she could to marry and was quite upset when all her children weren't blond and blue eyed.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <nshrpoa AT highdesert.com>

I have been 'in transition' since last June, and will
finally be settled at - the end of November - in
Newberry Springs, California (mid-Mojave).

Among the things I've been unpacking, shuffling and
re-shuffling, etc. in my perhaps-efforts-in-vain to get
organized, is a bunch of correspondence from-to Daniel
Peaches (Navajo) - then Representative, AZ. He and I
were having an ongoing discussion regarding the merits
of removing Navajo children from the reservation and
placing them in Mormon-run off-reservation boarding
schools.

I was dead against it, having the knowledge that the
Navajo had Their Own Religion, which I didn't think
should be messed with.

Our communications came to an abrupt end when he wrote
that he was one of those children (and, of course,
brainwashed, I thought at the time). I'm sure his
intentions were the best. I just wish / wished he'd had
a more pure and simple background to speak from. I mean
purity and simplicity in the best sense, as based on
nature, and the religious tenets of the tribe.

Sandy

Their
> culture was deliberately and systematically
destroyed. First by the
> missionaries and then by the land grants (wholesale
murder) and finally by
> the boarding school system put into place by the
U.S.
government.

Yes, I have heard of the boarding school thing.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for
somewhere in the

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/nshrpoa%40highdesert.com