homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off grid living

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off grid living
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:37:44 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Eh ... I'm always the anachronism, but I've got six 10'-12' cedar (Virginia
juniper) logs about 16" in diameter that I am going to square down on two sides
with the adze for asthetic as well as structural beams for the lower side of
the house. True that there are only six of them and they aren't very large,
but when faced with the expense of loading them and having them squared at the
sawmill, I decided I'd rather spend the money on a new adze head from
WoodCrafters.

Good for you, James. Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperus virginiana, is one of the prettier woods to look at, from my view. It is pretty in its grain--the "bathroom" here at Heartwood is entirely paneled in it-- and I like it's natural form. If logs are peeled very carefully, the smooth form is sublime. Alas, large ones are scarce here, maybe so because my Ozark County has a cedar mill that makes the tongue-and- groove small boards used for closet lining sold widely (which is what our bathroom is finished with, including the shower surround over the tub, which wood has now lasted over twenty years).

I lust for big ones. Thick walls require wide door jams and window framing. Hard to get the wide stuff here. I keep my eye on the big ones I have. Each has a future.