homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off grid living

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off grid living
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 15:27:20 -0400

On 10/2/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I love Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild...Bear has a crew, but it is no less
> entertaining and educational, maybe more so.

These shows are staples at our house, one of few shows we watch together as
a family and all get something out of it. The shows we've seen this season
found Les Stroud in the Cook Islands, the Arctic Circle area and the African
plains. All were interesting, but after the Arctic Circle show my youngest
said "Mom, I don't think I want to go there anytime soon." The atmosphere
was brutal and he couldn't build a decent igloo because the conditions
weren't right for the snow. In fact, they came to get him on Day 5 because
the safety crew was close to getting stranded by melting sea ice. The Cook
Islands episode was a complete vacation by comparison.

My boys watch Mythbusters to watch them build machines, gadgets and
contraptions to figure out how or if they can bust the myth. Always
entertaining--while learning snippets of science and physics.

Lisa