homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off grid living

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off grid living
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:18:01 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Faced with needing some such large timbers in my building, I began to
laminate available wood. If I needed 6x8's, I got three 2x8's and bolted them
together. Since the grain can be vaired somewhat, the resulting laminated beam is
stronger than a solid one.

Yes, it is.

One reason I like solid beams is the aesthetics. I just like the look of a big chunk of tree trunk. Now, if the beam will be hidden, then laminating is superior.

My old log barn is falling apart. I will take down at least the front half that is falling in as soon as the metal barn provides a safe place to put those hand-hewn oak logs. Who among us will make beams by hand today?