homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off grid living

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off grid living
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:29:28 EDT

> There is another factor. With a personal sawmill one can cut large
> stuff, like four by sixes, six by eights and larger, that in a lumber
> yard would be expensive.

Faced with needing some such large timbers in my building, I began to
laminate available wood. If I needed 6x8's, I got three 2x8's and bolted
them
together. Since the grain can be vaired somewhat, the resulting laminated
beam is
stronger than a solid one.

Glue would make them even stronger and although that much aliphatic resin
glue would be pricey, it'd be a lot cheaper than a sawmill. </HTML>