homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:20:54 -0400

Rob wrote:

I spent an afternoon watching a guy use a Woodmizer http://www.woodmizer.com/us/index.aspx . I liked that! If I had a lot
of money I'd have bought one of those.

I spent an afternoon working my butt off helping a guy saw up our trees
with his Woodmizer. :)
Seriously, about 9 years ago, we hired a guy to cut down 29 large pine
trees around the house. By large, I mean greater than 2 feet in
diameter, and some were larger than 3 feet. He moved them to the back
pasture into a stack using the skidder. A few weeks later, we hired
another guy to come out with his Woodmizer. He said he would give us a
good price if we would help, otherwise, it would be more as he would
have to hire someone. Of course, we agreed to help, and I swear, of all
the things I have done on this farm and in this life, that afternoon
ranks as one of the most labor intensive days I have ever had. Ron and
I both suffered for three weeks afterwards. It's not easy to roll logs
to the WM, then move and stack the milled lumber..not easy AT ALL. It
was a lot of heavy lifting and straining and in my opinion, pretty
dangerous work, too, due to the size of the log sections(16 ft
sections). The guy we hired sat up in the cab area operating the thing,
and we did all the real labor. HOWEVER, it provided us with enough wood
to build my greenhouse, a milkroom, a storage stall, a shed over the gas
tank, and multiple other projects like using the slab wood on the north
side of the barn for a windbreak. All in all, it was a good deal
financially, but man I still feel those aches and pains 9 years later.
If anyone is seriously considering buying one, be sure that you have
good help, or allow money in your budget for some day laborers.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.