homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:18:32 -0400

Hi Judy, and welcome...
Sorry to be tardy in reply-I've been a bit overwhelmed of late and it
*is* Spring.<g>
I don't know anything about NH, but I have raised goats (Lamanchas and a
few Oberhasli wethers) and might be of help there if you have questions.
I've also raised meat sheep (Katahdins), various poultry, and other
assorted critters. We raise pigs about every other year for meat. My
best friend has horses, and I sometimes lease my pasture to her, so I
know a smidgeon about them, too. Hunting, fishing, etc. are a way of
life and method of putting food in the freezer here.

Judy Anderson wrote:

1. Aside from the variety of wildlife, what benefits can we gain
from a swamp?

What an ecosystem! Do you like froglegs? How is the swamp 'fed'? Is
it a swamp or a bog? How deep? How large?

2. How can I calculate how much acreage to plant for hay to provide
all of our own needs? For other crops for ourselves?
No clue..

3. What variety would be a good mix of hay to meet all their needs?
I remember my folks would sometimes get timothy, but usually it was generic hay. What is in generic hay?
I think hay depends on where you live as to what is grown locally. I
try to buy locally grown hay, which is mostly fescue and bermuda.
Timothy, alfalfa, and other 'horse hays' are trucked in and very
expensive here.

4. Is there any reason not to barn all of the animals together? We
want them all to be free ranging to the greatest extent possible,
but everyone needs shelter still.

Turkeys and chickens should be kept separate due to certain diseases.
I guess a lot would depend on your barn arrangement.

5. How can we tell (when considering a property) if a field will
need irrigation?

What do you intend to grow?
What is the method used on nearby properties?

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.