homestead - [Homestead] Another new member

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Another new member
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:13:59 -0500

Hello all,

Joined your list this week. I have been homesteading for six years on five diverse acres in a canyon in southwest Texas. There are only 4.4 people per square mile here--an hour from Mexico, but a day's drive to any other state. There is no radio, tv, or cell phone reception because of the mountains, but thankfully we now have DSL. I don't know how many of you live in a remote area, but isn't it great to have an Internet community?

The arctic air pushed all the way down to us too! Fortunately it was too brief to damage our fruit trees which are already bearing marble-sized fruits, and our hundreds of vegetable seedlings were able to enjoy a couple of days around the fireplace. Usually we are trying to keep things cool--using old sheets to shade tomatoes and air-conditioning our chicken coop in the summer months when temps are consistently above 100 degrees.

Before leaving the city behind, I was a professional botanist and a graphic artist for two decades. My husband teaches at the area rural school, and we have a small organic vegetable and egg business, selling mostly to locals.

I would be interested in learning ways other homesteaders have found to create sideline income. Our friends have tried selling at a farmer's market, but can't break even due to time & travel costs. Many families vacation here in the summer, if I had a product or two to sell, and of course there is selling on the Internet, eBay etc. Suggestions, ideas?

As for contribution, I might be able to help on plant questions, and perhaps provide encouragement to those not yet living their dream.

Sage (& Rick)
way out in Texas