homestead - [Homestead] Newbie intro

  • From: Judy Anderson <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Newbie intro
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:14:15 -0400

Hi,

My name is Judy and I have just joined this list, so I thought I should introduce myself. My husband and I have 5 children, ages 5 months to almost 11 years, and we are starting the process of looking for land to homestead here in southwestern New Hampshire. I have some (ancient) experience with dairy goats, having raised Toggs in 4H when I was a child, but I don't remember much of the details of it. I mostly just remember playing with them and taking care of them for showing. My family is interested in raising goats for milk and meat, sheep for meat and wool, chickens (ducks and geese) for meat and eggs (and feathers), dogs for all they things they do on farms, cats (ditto), a pig or two for meat, and of course, our girls want horses. My husband is interested in hunting and trapping, too, with fishing being a thought as well. (He worships Ted Nugent. :) )We also want to grow as much of our own grains and vegetables as we can, and perhaps we will be lucky enough to find a place with an orchard as well. We are prepared (mentally, at least) to build our own home if need be, so our main search right now is for acreage. We know we want a fresh water source, and I am trying to calculate how much pasture and field we will need. We want timber for heating and cooking fuel. I noticed that often times large lots will have a good sized chunk of swamp around here. I have so many questions for you, but I will try to stick to the land-related ones first. We have been in urban and suburban places for far too long, so I apologize if some questions seem a bit ... elementary.

1. Aside from the variety of wildlife, what benefits can we gain from a swamp?
2. How can I calculate how much acreage to plant for hay to provide all of our own needs? For other crops for ourselves?
3. What variety would be a good mix of hay to meet all their needs? I remember my folks would sometimes get timothy, but usually it was generic hay. What is in generic hay?
4. Is there any reason not to barn all of the animals together? We want them all to be free ranging to the greatest extent possible, but everyone needs shelter still.
5. How can we tell (when considering a property) if a field will need irrigation?

Of course, I have many other questions, but these will do for a start. :)

Thanks,
Judy