homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro

  • From: Judy Anderson <illiinnarra AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newbie intro
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:27:23 -0400

Hi Bev,

Thank you for replying. We haven't chosen a property yet (haven't even gotten pre-approved for a mortgage yet), so right now I am really trying to figure out what to look for in the land. The swamp at the last place we looked at was a boggy area around a stream. It was too mucky to walk through when we toured, but the property diagram we were given shows 4.8 acres of swamp surrounded by timber, pasture, and a stream. We probably won't get that specific place because it is farther away than we want to go, but it did get me to thinking about the various land types.

I am currently planning my very first garden this year. I have tried in the past, but it doesn't seem to work out. This time I am going to use the square foot gardening method and actually get it done and not be overwhelmed by it and give up. :) I also won't have to worry about abandoning it when we move since we will be able to take the garden with us.

I have never had the courage to try frog-legs, but when I was a kid, I did have fun catching the frogs in the local "frog-pond". Now when you say turkeys and chickens need to be kept separate, do you mean from each other, or from other animals? Thanks so much.

Judy