homestead - Re: [Homestead] Consensus (was Stewart Brand--provocative thoughts)

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Consensus (was Stewart Brand--provocative thoughts)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 06:35:22 -0600

Taken beyond these "alarms" (or clarifying what those articles on Delphi, Alinsky, Educational takeover, are scaring people away from) try :
http://www.consensus.net/articles.html
It is the actual method used in Eagle's reference to government takeover. But, the outside facilitator taught skills and they then run themselves. (not the "Delphi Technique.")

Many techniques have used "consensus" just as many use "democratic" in some strange ways. The basis of "In synthesis, opposites are brought together to form the new thesis. All participants in the process are then to accept ownership of the new thesis and support it, changing their views to align with the new thesis." is indeed vulnerable to manipulation and not geared to a group product. Delphi assumed a linear world. It was/is a way for those with power to retain power while appearing to change the system (maybe even making change but only in a controllable direction.) But I've seen consensus process hold now and not fall away. I too came through the old "change agent" days (and wish I had more notes, like Lynda.) But, in education, we weren't teaching manipulation. In administration that was, indeed, the lesson (or the promise to get compliance.) However, I will confirm the vulnerability to manipulation of 2 ends meet in the middle concepts. That's why it was done. To get specific change. An opening for redefining the power stream in education.
One major difference with consensus use today is rotating facilitation. The old, follow the leader game based on who can control the leader went out with people's awareness. The group can effectively run themselves but there will not be access to funnel off resources to non-workers. It is therefore threatening to people who feel they receive beyond what they contribute or that there should be control of the group. (I think that was the original question of whether we believe some people try to puppet groups.)

The main thing to look for in any of this is- if the power people remain the same and the same people do all the work in any project, nothing has changed.
Recent herd studies showing herds are led by a small group not an individual and the group changes with the need, have confirmed leadership should rotate.
Hope we keep studying the other beings on this planet we haven't extincted yet who can continue the lesson.

Peace,
Kathyann