homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stewart Brand--provocative thoughts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stewart Brand--provocative thoughts
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:53:32 -0800

The difference is intent. With Delphi Technique, the "resolution" is predetermined. The parties to the conflict are "led" to believe that "they" have reached a resolution that "they" thought of and that "they" think is the best possible end to the conflict.

My first actual experience with Delphi was back in the 80s. Bush Sr. got together the governors of all the states for a forum on education. The result of that forum, run by Clinton, btw, was Goals which morphed into Goals 2000 which morphed into NCLB.

The governors were sent home and told to "get your educational leaders behind this."

My part in this was setting up the seminars that taught school districts how to implement "consensus" using the Delphi Technique so that parents, community leaders and business leaders would "get behind" pushing Goals.

The consensus was predetermined. The folks that lead these groups are really quite talented. If you are ever in a position to watch the group dynamics and how they play sheepdog to the sheople, do so. It is every bit as interesting as watching an actual sheepdog work!

And, just so you know, most "organized" conflict resolution (union negotiation, court appointed, etc.) is actually done using some form of Delphi Technique or Alinsky Method.

I have a ton of stuff on it. These seminars that I coordinated usually lasted for a minimum of 3 days. "Change agents" are very well trained!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

As you are onto this subject and I am not, what key differences do
you find between the Delphi technique and conflict resolution?