homestead - [Homestead] Wolves and coyotes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wolves and coyotes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:19:37 -0700

Might have been but our coyotes are much bigger than the ones I saw in
the West. They often look like wolves.

Chris once saw from the kitchen window what she thought were three wolves trotting the trail behind the barn. These were bigger than coyotes, said she. There was snow on the ground so I went up to take a look. Working from her memory, the paw prints and using the beautifully illustrated book, The Wild Mammals of Missouri, by Schwartz & Schwartz, we identified them as red wolves. They exist in the Ozarks and over into the southern tip of Illinois. In heavy winter coats these looked like big, muscular coyotes. They were on a daily deer trail and were in good flesh. The book says they weigh as much as 65 pounds.