homestead - Re: [Homestead] I'm back

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I'm back
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:02:41 -0500

On 2/18/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
> I never asked for a solution to the hawk eating the ducks. A hawk has
> to eat, after all.

Quite right. Hawks do have to eat if they are to live. Homesteaders
typically put the feeding of themselves and their families ahead of
predators.

Well, that's as plain as the difference between black and white. Who
wouldn't want to feed their family first?

I think this is the first time a homestead list member has
said they are okay with losing livestock to predators. I certainly
expected that you wanted it stopped.

You applied the livestock label. I certainly never have as regards the
ducks here at Salamasond.

One more lesson in not assuming.

Probably not your last, either.

If these were livestock or food or egg producers I wouldn't hesitate
to exterminate the predator- felony or not. I didn't raise them to be
hawk food but such seems their lot.

This thread seems to be a diversion. If you want to protect ducks from
death from above I suggest penning them in areas with a wire fence or
at minumum a mesh above them, clip their wings or own non flying
breeds, and shoot predators as you spot them. Again - I have no
problem with shooting what threatens my livelihood, and I rarely miss.