homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:51:49 -0800

It isn't the heat, Bev. Some of the best alfalfa around grows in REALLY hot areas and in hot, humid areas. It would most likely be the something to do with the soil. However, it grows all over Sonoma County which is nasty, suck-your-boots-off-ya red clay. Although it does grow best in the flood plains of the Russian River.

Well, I can't grow alfalfa here, either. I think maybe our summers are
too hot? I don't know. We do have clay, but my pasture is rocky
acidic, not loamy acidic. :) There's no way you can harrow it.
I've done the hand broadcast thing on my 7 acre pasture, so I know
what's involved in that...wow, what a job!