homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicory As Sheep Wormer
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:08:56 -0800

I've been told there are hundreds of varieties of alfalfa, including those that go dormant and those that don't, etc. I really need to experiment with one that does well here.

My goat buddy Orlando is just very small time, but even he insists on buying by the ton. There's no way to break even at feed store prices. Why not get together with some other folks and share a ton?

Bill
S. Oregon coast

EarthNSky wrote:

There are a few people who grow it within 100 miles of me, but it doesn't have the same quality as the stuff they ship in from Ohio and other places up north. Perhaps it has to do with the drought conditions or needs irrigation in the summer or something. I'd be interested to understand why it's not grown much here. Most folks that buy alfalfa go in on shares and make runs to the Northland and bring truckloads of it back. It's actually cheaper to buy it that way than to buy it from the feed store. It must need a lot of soil moisture..

Bev

Lynda wrote:

It isn't the heat, Bev. Some of> areas and in hot, humid areas. It would most likely be the something to do with the soil. However, it grows all over Sonoma County which is nasty, suck-your-boots-off-ya red clay. Although it does grow best in the flood plains of the Russian River.

Well, I can't grow alfalfa here, either. I think maybe our summers are
too hot? I don't know. We do have clay, but my pasture is rocky
acidic, not loamy acidic. :) There's no way you can harrow it.
I've done the hand broadcast thing on my 7 acre pasture, so I know
what's involved in that...wow, what a job!