homestead - Re: [Homestead] USS Key West, TJ's boat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] USS Key West, TJ's boat
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:23:52 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

That photo looks just like the sub I saw from the plane. I have wondered if what I saw was some older, perhaps non-nuclear, ship. Do
you know how many subs are stationed at Pearl?

Well, the US Navy has 55 fast attack subs, all look pretty much the
same. 28 of them are in the Atlantic, 27 in the Pacific. The 3 main
bases for Pacific fast attack subs are San Diego, Pearl, and Guam. Guam
is now a growing sub community, and I know some boats are being moved
from both SD and Pearl to show Guam as their new homeport. Both the
Atlantic and Pacific submarine fleets cover the Indian ocean. TJ right
now is on a Westpac mission, meaning his boat is covering the western
Pacific from Korea down to Australia. All US Navy subs are nuclear powered.

I'm surprised that the same guy is still the commander. Seven years,
wow. He must know every rivet on the thing.

Submariners are the best of the best in the Navy. (People think fighter
pilots are, but it takes higher scores to be a nuke and nukes require
more training and are paid better for it) When the government spends a
minimum of two years training the sailors and over 4 years training the
officers, you tend to hold on to them. It appears that he was actually
second in command during the attack on Afghanistan, being promoted to CO
immediately afterwards. His resume, and other info on the ship is heI am
really glad that TJ serves under this guy. With his education and
training, you can bet that he does indeed know every rivet on the boat.

Bev
--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.