homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:16:11 -0800

I swear, carrots love kids! I can't grow carrots at all. Give the seed packs to one of the kidlets for their little gardens and they've got carrots coming out their ears!

I'd like to hear your method for carrots. I don't have good luck with
carrots. I've tried several varieties, several soil mixes, including
one that was about 90% sand, and all kinds of other stuff. I don't
think I've ever grown a decent crop of carrots. They end up tough and
tasteless. I think the gnarled, twisted carrots I grew up with, grown
in rocky soil, tasted better than what I grow. I don't care what they
look like, I just want to grab a carrot and eat and enjoy it without
breaking my teeth. So what gives with carrots? Could my soil be too
acid? More potash needed? Many years I have that internal greening
problem, and cracking, which I know is caused by lack of water. I water
them, but maybe not enough??
Reluctantly, I am going to try a hybrid carrot; this year, it will be
Sweetness II. Here's the Park Seed description:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=5080&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Gate%201DollarSeed&SearchText=p16.v231;l1.1DollarSeed&OfferCode=T1H

Shumways says they have extra sugars and are super sweet.

Check out this page, James...is this what you are talking about?

http://www.neseed.com/store/carrot.html

It says that carrots used to be all different colors, but the Danes made
them orange to honor their national colors. I never knew that!
Purple carrots would take some adjustment, for sure, but I'm game to try
anything, just tell me what to try! I love carrots!

Bev, who ordered the carrots and other seeds today
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.