homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:17:17 -0600

Wow, I thought I was the recycling queen! I never thought of that use
for toilet paper rolls! That's a great idea. Yet another thing to have
people save for me. :)

I have used plastic milk jugs around tomatoes as cloches and later cut
the jug tops off, leaving just a large plastic tube around the base of
each plant - that works great at keeping the cutworms away too.

I also make little paper pots out of newspaper to start seedlings. I
make them by wrapping strips of newspaper around a large dowel and
folding the bottom of the pot. Fill them with potting soil and put in
a flat. They hold together during germination well enough, and they
disintegrate after transplanting very quickly. Of course, I don't use
the shiny ad inserts - just the newsprint.

You're right, Toni, junk is good!

Gloria