homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kale/soda bottles
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:57:21 -0500

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:
Soda Pop bottles DO multiply, when folk know you need them! I have
stopped at one tall fridge box full. I especially love them for starting
tree seed with soiless mix. I can put about 9 of them into a milk crate
outdoors in the fall for germination of things such as Paw Paw or nuts
that put out a long tap root early. They are not stable, being so tall,
so i crate them in groups.

I use all of them I can get, too. I recently got a wild hair and made another bird feeder. I haven't done that in years.
Of course, they are also useful as rabbit waterers and as cold/ice bottles in the summer. I use them for storing/selling eggs, too, instead of normal egg containers. Works fine. A dozen plus easily fits into a 2 liter bottle.
But back to the gardening stuff, one year I used toilet paper tubes to start corn in. I transplanted the corn, tube and all, directly into the ground, intensively planted. It worked real well. I just stood up the tube in a plastic tray/bin, filled them with soil, sowed the seed, and watered the bunch. I kept the tray inside for higher soil temps/germination, and then transplanted the 4 inch tall corn to the ground immediately after the last frost date (when the moon was right that year). Of course, the tubes were soggy and ready to fall apart, but held together just enough for the life of the transplant.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.