homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: bartermn AT epix.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:51:10 -0500

On 1/5/07, Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net> wrote:

Our soil started out as clay with a couple inches of top soil. Yearly
additions of compost to the entire garden and sand to the carrot bed if
nothing else has been the trick, I'd guess. I don't baby them any more
than any other crop.

How much sand do you figure you add? Now wondering about a soil mix
consisting of 1/4 sand, 1/4 compost, 1/4 growing mix and 1/4 soil. I would
really like to try growing carrots.

Lisa