homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:26:14 -0500

Gloria Morris wrote:

If anyone has had success with carrots, tell us about your soil and
techniques?

I grow carrots every year in a different 4 or 5x6 foot bed and the only problems I've had are slugs and poor thinning. We usually have plenty of frozen carrots to last a full year. The seed I most often use (we rarely order from a catalog) is Nantes from the tractor supply, Walmart or Agway.

Our soil started out as clay with a couple inches of top soil. Yearly additions of compost to the entire garden and sand to the carrot bed if nothing else has been the trick, I'd guess. I don't baby them any more than any other crop.