homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:15:24 -0600

I'm a Master Gardener, so-called, though I've let my certification
lapse. I've gardened my whole life. I was raised in a gardening
family. I can grow most things - some folks think I have a green
thumb. But carrots have defied me! For the past 16 years, I've lived
on land with heavy clay soil, and though I amended it extensively with
composted horse poop, chicken poop, sheep poop, etc., and it improved
greatly, it remained a clay based loam, and carrots do not care for
clay. My new place is very, very sandy. I guess that is why they call
it Sand Ridge. <grin> Perhaps my luck with carrots will change. Or
not. I have a good supply of manure with which to fertilize (I always
compost it first). It is difficult for me to refrain from amending all
my garden beds with the stuff! My Dad had decent luck with carrots.
Sandy soil and drip irrigation will work. Perhaps I'll install some
drip irrigation eventually - that's a project for a future year,
though! If anyone has had success with carrots, tell us about your
soil and techniques? Gloria