homestead - [Homestead] Rats

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Rats
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:23:54 -0600

I've had an invasion of rats, and I've been given to understand at the
farm supply store that rats are big this year. I refrain from poison
until they actually invade my personal space but they did, and I put
out bait advertised to kill warfarin-resistant rats (which disappeared
in minutes). So far, I have two corpses, both finished off by hero cat
Sonny. Does anyone know how dangerous the body of a poisoned rat is to
other animals? I'm doing my best to police the areas, but evidently
the sick rats are also made stupid and instead of staying in cat-free
areas are staggering out to be dispatched. The cats don't seem to be
interested in rat as a food source....

Marie, hoping to have a lot fewer rats in the new year