homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rats

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rats
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:23:51 -0600

On 12/30/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

No, you just use a bigger bucket, like a trashcan. the metal or the
plastic kind. Also, you make sure there is enough water in the bottom
so that the rat cannot get a foothold...no foothold, no jumpy. :)

Ah, yes, a large trash can would work.Well, now that the poison is
down and consumed, I'll see how many corpses I get out of it. For
mice, I've used a 5 gallon bucket, which I take out to the field to
dump -- it gives the mice a chance and the cats some sport (call me a
bleeding heart). With my luck, the rats will mostly die in the space
between floors, and I'll be smelling rotting rat for a while. I
haven't found more corpses beyond the first two, but I know there
must be more. (I don't have the same compassion for rats as for mice
-- I'd rather have snakes lose in the house than rats.)

Marie