homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rats
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:21:16 -0500

Don't let the cats eat the rats, Marie. The rats still contain the poison and it is still deadly.
Have you tried the bucket method, where you put water in the bottom and a ramp with bait on the top?

Bev

Marie McHarry wrote:
I've had an invasion of rats, and I've been given to understand at the
farm supply store that rats are big this year. I refrain from poison
until they actually invade my personal space but they did, and I put
out bait advertised to kill warfarin-resistant rats (which disappeared
in minutes). So far, I have two corpses, both finished off by hero cat
Sonny. Does anyone know how dangerous the body of a poisoned rat is to
other animals? I'm doing my best to police the areas, but evidently
the sick rats are also made stupid and instead of staying in cat-free
areas are staggering out to be dispatched. The cats don't seem to be
interested in rat as a food source....

Marie, hoping to have a lot fewer rats in the new year