homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:06:10 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

But the whole paradigm flipped around at some point and I looked at it from the other end. There was no point in preparing any more than
we would eat. There was no point in preserving more than we would prepare. There was no point in processing more than we were going to
perserve. There was no point in picking more than we'd process. There was no point in planting more than we'd pick.

Not only for the reasons you stated, but overplanting and overuse of
land and resources taxes the land. Recently, I pulled out some old
pictures of this place I took when we first bought it. I was amazed to
see how my pasture has worn in 8 years...too many horses, sheep, and
goats have constantly grazed it. I need to work on finding a happy
medium for my land. If, too, (and I write this with Gloria in mind
since it is one of her resolutions) you start taking out trees, you have
to be very careful as it seems that once you start the thinning process,
Nature will help you finish it, perhaps even more than you wanted as
wind patterns change and then the first available storm stresses and
knocks down trees. It can become a chain reaction type thing.

It took some mental discipline to work this out. The urge in the headiness of early spring was to say, I've got the space, I've got the seedlings, I'll put out 300 spring cabbages.

For me, the temptation to plant more fruit trees is almost unbearable.
I have to ask myself, how many varieties do I need? They all aren't
producing yet, but I will really be overrun when they do. I really have
to tighten the reigns on myself when I am at a nursery.
Last week, I took some grape cuttings from my Remailly seedless. I had
been pruning it all wrong and I have pretty much destroyed the vine,
even though it is still alive. I took the cuttings in hopes of starting
over in a new area. I took 12 cuttings...they are callusing now near
woodstove in the house...I look at that bunch of sticks over there and
ask myself, why did I take so many? I only wanted 2 or 3. I got
carried away. Perhaps, if they root, I'll sell or give some away. I
dunno.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.