homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:25:46 -0500

Bev, at least with the fruit trees, Ron can take some fresh fruit in to work with the eggs and offer them to your other egg customers. I didn't know you liked to ride. What kind of horses do you have? I have an Arabian gelding CMK breeding, lots of Crabbet. Very intelligent, sane and athletic. I love him to pieces. I also have a house pig, a little pot-bellie. That is why I don't eat pork anymore. I have learned that pigs are way too intelligent to eat. It is almost like eating children. Can't do.

Wendy

For me, the temptation to plant more fruit trees is almost unbearable.
I have to ask myself, how many varieties do I need? They all aren't
producing yet, but I will really be overrun when they do. I really have
to tighten the reigns on myself when I am at a nursery.
Last week, I took some grape cuttings from my Remailly seedless. I had
been pruning it all wrong and I have pretty much destroyed the vine,
even though it is still alive. I took the cuttings in hopes of starting
over in a new area. I took 12 cuttings...they are callusing now near
woodstove in the house...I look at that bunch of sticks over there and
ask myself, why did I take so many? I only wanted 2 or 3. I got
carried away. Perhaps, if they root, I'll sell or give some away. I
dunno.

Bev