homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:55:22 -0500

clhw wrote:
Bev and anyone else with eggs to sell -- How do you recommend going
about selling and advertising that you have some to sell with all the
concern about salmonella, etc? Do you use your own flats or cartons
to sell them in or do you re-cycle ones people save for you from the
store?

As for containers, we recycle from others and I use 2 liter plastic
bottles. Cut off the top, put a napkin or something in the bottom and
load it with eggs. I usually put 13 in a bottle. The bottle stores
upright and takes up less room and of course, it shows off the eggs.
People seem to like it.
I've never been concerned about salmonella and neither have any
customers that I am aware of. People seem to know and accept the risk
just as I do, and I don't market the eggs at all. Most of our eggs are
sold to neighbors and to Ron's co-workers, and we almost always need
more eggs to meet demand. I sell for $1.50/dozen to old customers,
$1.75 dozen to new customers, unless I have an egg glut and then I might
even given half dozens away. BTW, plastic 20 oz bottles are good for
those who only want a few eggs. Ron keeps a cardboard box in his truck
and we just load up the bottles in the box and once he arrives he is
sold out in minutes. (He works at a small town auto dealership) He just
basically talks about the farm and free ranging and various things to
folks at the dealership. They can pull up pictures and see how the
chickens are raised, see how healthy they look, etc. It sells eggs, I
think.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.