homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:35:24 -0500

On 12/26/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

For me, the temptation to plant more fruit trees is almost unbearable.
I have to ask myself, how many varieties do I need? They all aren't
producing yet, but I will really be overrun when they do.

Here's an example for you of what not to do unless you're prepared to deal
with it! The previous owner (to mention him for the 30th time) loved apples
and planted umpty-ump varieties. We have 20 dwarf espaliared apples--every
one different--along the fenced garden next to 15 espaliared asian and
bartlett pears--along with 9 dwarf apples also in the garden. Outside the
garden and nearer the barn is a group of 5 full-sized apple trees (now about
14 years old) he planted too close together but stuck them in the ground to
get them going, before he transplanted them later. Only later never came.
That's not all. In front of our house, we have a 100+ y.o. Stayman Winesap
apple--the only one 'original' with this farm. Further up the field are
another three more full size apple trees that are in the 12-15 y.o. range.
It's beautiful when they're in bloom. But we can't remember all the variety
names, when they are ready to harvest, and in a good year--we have apples
out the wazoo. It's also lots of pruning, lots of picking up rotten fruit
and putting it in the compost or letting the deer eat them, but great
applesauce and pies! We got in over our heads when we bought this place and
every year we just try to hang on. We bought the dream and then learned how
much work it takes to live the dream...and now we're just tired and growing
teenagers. ;)

Lisa