homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:30:36 -0800

Unfortunately far too many people allow their jobs to define them. Without that job they seem, somehow, to cease to exist and simply quit.

I have a million things I want to do simply because I enjoy doing things. I love to create things.

We've made the "work" part of our land as efficient as we can and carefully outline our plans. Then we get on with the fun part of living in our little corner of the world. This gives us plenty of time to do the fun things, the stopping to smell the flowers, shall we say, or in our case, to watch the hummingbird that has adopted us and the two group of crazy pilated woodpeckers, one group of whom, I swear, are very confused birds that should be on the East Coast and are supposed to be extinct (they have the white beaks).

Our "resolution" list, if you want to call it that, consists of the things we know we will accomplish in the time frame that we allot. Most of those are things that in one way or another bring us joy -- a more efficient kitchen because I love to cook and DH and the kidlets love to eat <g>; planting more and more kinds of fruit trees, canes, vines and bushes, not just to be relatively self-sufficient but because we love the taste of homegrown fruits and we need more so that the fruit actually makes it into the house <g>; planting a row of tsungi (is that spelled correctly?) because they will grow quickly, make the house more private and help keep the dust down which means less time dusting and more time enjoying life; building a pergola in the front because it will help keep the house cooler in the summer and because we like the look and enjoy sitting out there on a summer afternoon; and so forth and so on.

Everything serves multiple purposes. Some may call them resolutions, some may call them work but we call them a means to an end and that end is our own happiness!

snip>
I hear so often tales of people who retire from
their jobs and then die the following year. I can't help but feel that
they needed to work, and that symbolically or not, there was a mental
change that happened when the work was done...that they prepared to die.
When you get it all done, there is nothing else to live for...I hope to
never be done. When I die, I hope to be in my garden on a sunny day
working on some project or another.

Bev, wishing all a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.