homestead - Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Run like the Devil
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:18:23 -0700

It was then that I wanted to know if I could supply myself and my family with
garden produce, meat, milk, eggs, and the like; gather our own cooking and
heating fuel; build our own buildings; maintain our own vehicles; etc (usual
drill) and there still be, let's say, half the day left over for other pursuits.
As it happens, it needn't take even that long.

Those who have read the Helen and Scott Nearing books will know of their four-four-four plan. Four hours of bread labor followed by four hours of social service followed by four hours of hedonism.