homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:31:16 -0600

On 12/18/06, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

What are some of the better tasting, less trouble birds?

I have raised ducks on several occasions. They might be less trouble
than geese in some respects, but all livestock have their plusses and
minuses, and what works for one homesteader won't for another. I
wanted ducks over geese when my son was little, as they aren't
aggressive like geese. I love the dark meat of the duck -- it is
absolutely awesome in the smoker - try making a
red-wine-and-herb-based sauce in the liquid pan (that would likely be
awesome with goose, also). Ducks don't need a pond, but they will try
to swim in the stock tanks if they have no other water source, and you
have to set things up so as to keep them out of those or they will
"fowl" the water that your other animals must drink. When I lived in a
place without a pond, I used a small wading pool to keep them happy.

Of course, rather than raising ducks or geese, you could take up
hunting wild ones ...

Gloria