homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jewelry

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jewelry
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:08:13 -0500

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
I prefer
the costume stuff and all the colored glass pins and funky necklaces.

Yeah, some of this stuff is really cool looking. There's a turtle pin
that is just awesome, there's a pair of beetle earrings with a matching
necklace that I really like, too. These things are cut stones, very
colorful stones, and you just don't see stuff like this anymore.

You didn't mention it, but wondering if you were you lucky enough to
get any hats that she made? A well made hat can last for years and
years, though if it had netting on it that often deteriorates.

No, but I think mother has a few. I'll bet the Augusta, GA/SC area is
saturated with them, though, if people still have them. She had her
label in everything and had quite a home business for about 30 years.
Most of that time, she lived near Augusta, but she also lived in
Greenville, SC and in Norfolk, VA. Her hatboxes were also handmade in
many cases, some were woven wood.
What I do have still are sweaters. She knitted me sweaters every year
for Christmas. They are beautiful for the most part, and I appreciate
them now, but growing up, I never did.
By the time I came into the picture, she had pretty much retired from
hatmaking, covering the period from about 1930-1960, but I do recall
seeing all her stuff in her attic-mannequins, boxes, etc. By the time I
came along, she mostly was knitting and making other stuff.

Things were simpler when I thought this jewelry was junk. Last night, I
went through all the stuff I was tentatively going to donate and started
pulling stuff back out the bag. I separated some jewelry to take to
town with me for possible repair. There's a beautiful Christmas tree
pin with matching earrings, but there are a few stones missing on the
tree. I don't know whether to sacrifice the earrings to repair the tree
or add new stones. The pin is about 4" from top to bottom and is
awesomely colorful.
I've had this jewelry for about 5 years now. It's time I decided what
to do with it.

Bev
P.S. On a whim, I just did a Google search on my grandmother's name and
found an Ebay listing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-womens-fur-hats-Gus-Mayer-Louise-Strouble-etc_W0QQitemZ150064668762QQcmdZViewItem

This is soooo cool for me to know that her hats are still out there!!

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky