homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jewelry

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jewelry
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 09:30:27 -0500

On 12/1/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Oh my GOD!
I think I am rich... :)
Most of her stuff is, from what I can tell, flapper style, 1920-1930
stuff, lots of crystals....I can't believe the prices on these things!
My grandmother was a flapper, born in 1907. I recall hearing about her
wild youth. Later, she became a professional seamstress and hatmaker,
and when she retired from that, she did a lot of beadwork, made some
jewelry, and cast acrylic knickknack stuff (like bunches of grapes and
such). She was quite crafty.
Do you have any more websites for me to look at along these lines?
THANKS Wen!

Lucky you. My Grandma's jewelry was up for grabs when her house was sold
this past year. She's still with us, sort of, moved to a nursing home with
early-mid stage Alzheimer's. She still knows us but it's getting difficult.
My Mom and Aunts took the gold and/or diamond pieces (just a few) and left
the costume stuff for my sister, my brother's daughter and myself. I prefer
the costume stuff and all the colored glass pins and funky necklaces. I have
this one bracelet I wear a couple times a week, it's made of clear glass
beads on a wraparound wire and it catches the light and it all sparkly.
She's one of my most favorite people on this earth, she'd do anything for
anybody. She was a Beautician for 60+ years. She would go to a hospital to
do a customer or friend's hair and often went to a funeral home to do her
customer's hair one last time. I hate funeral homes, and I think one reason
is because my brother and I stayed with her for a couple weeks in the summer
(my sister is 6 years younger) and one time she had to go do a customer--at
the funeral home. My brother and I sat in the waiting room for an hour,
which seemed like an eternity, and she asked us if we wanted to go in with
her where she was working so we didn't have to sit by ourselves in this
cavernous, creepy place, but that would have meant being in the room with
the BODY. I was all of 9 or 10 and my brother was 7 or 8.

You didn't mention it, but wondering if you were you lucky enough to get any
hats that she made? A well made hat can last for years and years, though if
it had netting on it that often deteriorates.

Lisa