homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:57:43 -0500

You know, I haven't mentioned this before, but I am also opposed to
cumpulsory attendance policies. For example, I taught at a reservation
school years ago, where they instituted a mandatory "f" grade if the student
missed more than two weeks of school in a single quarter. It came up
because there were two students who had missed more than that, and were still
getting "A"s in all of their classes. My comment to the teachers involved
was to the effect that if the students could demonstrate that they knew what
you wanted them to know, without having to be in your class, then why should
they have to be there? Obviously, you are irrelevant, at least to them.

Again, I am not always popular with others in my profession...
Ray

Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading
spam and email virus protection.