homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:21:06 -0800

Son #3 was and is a sports nut. He went through Little League, Babe Ruth, Hoopsters, and Pop Warner like a hot knife through butter. He informs me he is off to one of the local high schools. Goes and tries out for the Varsity football team even though he would have technically been a freshman. Made the cut and then signed up for p.s. He refused to do busy work and they threatened to kick him out even though he aced all the tests and all the assignments he didn't consider busy work and was qualified for the Honor Roll. It is kinda hard to convince an unschooler to do things that are not logical <g> So, off to the school board he goes and fights the threatened suspension and bad grades. He presented his argument in a very methodical fashion and brough along all the busy work they wanted him to do and his test scores. He won. Last game of the season was the regional championship, got the MVP he wanted and got a call from a local college to call them when he was older. After the game he said "see ya."

When this experience was over, he said he'd learned a lot about how to spend time spinning your wheels and doing the same boring thing over and over and over again.

So, sometimes the kids do win the argument that you made, Ray.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <rayzentz AT aim.com>