homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:17:49 -0600

Cathy wrote:
James

While I most certainly see your point about dogmatism and government
schools, I think unschooling requires a deliberate leap of faith. A parent
who chooses to unschool (in the current, specific sense of the term) must
have faith that his child will be prompted by Some Thing to learn whatever
is not only necessary for a satisfactory life, but what is best for that
child's optimal life. Whatever that Some Thing may be....the universe,
fate, the great spirit, the child herself...the unschooling parent must have
faith in it.
Not James here but needing to add there are also those of us that believe the child does not need to learn from outside, but can discover inside, inherent understanding of relationships which are the core of the body of information society is deeming necessary. Communicating those realizations will take a lifetime, and practicing with a broad base of ages and backgrounds gives the best beginning. Faith exposure will fill a (w)hole is only necessary if one first is convinced there is a hole.

Kathyann