homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:52:30 -0800

Tsk, tsk. Not the case with the majority of the unschoolers I know. Lots of us are militant with our local schoolboards and at least make them accountable.

Where we live now there isn't much need for militancy because it is still run on a relatively small basis with a whole lot of parent participation and everyone knows everyone so there isn't the big problem of teachers bullying students. Teachers know that if the child in question doesn't tell then someone else in the class will. AND, since some of the parents probably tried out of Wrong Turn or Deliverance and were too wild to get a part, the teachers walk the straight and narrow <g>

Where I used to live, the school district even gave out homeschooling information. And, they knew that even though we (the larger homeschooling community) didn't have kids in the schools, we were just as likely to take them to task as the parents who did. A bunch of us "adopted" kids who didn't have involved parents.

I know this is done up and down my state and I know folks in other states who do this too.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>