homestead - [Homestead] Schools

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 06:00:51 EST

> The real underlying problem with America's seriously fucked up school
> system is that, for the most part, parents don't care

Well, try as one might, there are some people who are never going to get it.
It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with the premise, it's whether
one understands it to beging with. It would be more frustrating if it
weren't
so amusing the number of times one hears, "I went to PS and it did me no
harm" and yet the indoctrination is so deep and permeating that they still
can't
get past the notion that any critique of the idea of government schools is
saying that they are broken down, deteriorated, in need of repair.

It's not that government schools are doing a bad job or manned by bad people.
In fact the ones doing the "best" job (by their standards) and have the best
people are doing the worst harm.

>This is why PS is a good thing. Millions of kids in this country have
parents like Bev had who don't care.

The reason there are so many parents who dont' care is because over the past
centruy and a half we've created an institution that allows, encourages,
promotes, and fosters parents not to care. If you want to have kids and
largely
ignore them, fine, the government schools will take care of the problem.

Saying that we need government schools because of what would happen to
children with the bad parents the government shcools created in such numbers
in the
first place is the same argument that was used to perpetuate slavery. Turn
them all loose???? Why, that would create social chaos, those slaves don't
know
how to take care of themselves. Freedom might work for some people, but it's
a good thing we have the plantations for those for whom it doesn't work.