homestead - Re: [Homestead] On Neighbor's Cats

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On Neighbor's Cats
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:39:22 -0600

Dunno why, but some years ago my folks had neighbors with cats, and
those cats preferred hanging out at my folks' house more than their
own. My folks have a big wrap around porch, and those cats could
generally be found sleeping in the rockers, which have lovely soft
cushions on the seats. They also dug in my Mom's flower beds, using
the soft dirt for litter boxes. It would not have been such a big
deal, but my Mom is very allergic to cats, so having cat hair all over
her rockers made sitting on the porch a problem. And, she resented the
damage the cats did to her flowers. Too, she hated that the cats
killed the birds that she worked so hard to attract to the yard with
bird baths and feeders and houses. Now, they did not kill those cats,
but they were happy when the neighbor moved.

Anyhow, I suppose that it is possible for someone else's cat to take a
liking to your place, especially if they find it more comfortable than
their own home. I've never found that outdoor cats are particularly
loyal, after all.

As to disappearing neighbors from hell, I got a good laugh from that!

Gloria