homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:18:30 EST

> We've had ps around for a long time. Could you perhaps supply sources
> for these statistics?

Not so long as you might think. The first compulsory attendance law was in
Mass. in 1852. The schools before that resembled mandatory PS in no way
whatever. Most states were decades before they followed suit.

Through the history of PS, the more we spent, the more we regarded teachers
as "professionals", the more we made attendance compulsory, the lower the
rate
of litteracy. Here is a pretty good summary of it:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3b.htm