homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:49:42 -0600

Marie McHarry wrote:
On 11/16/06, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw AT chilitech.net> wrote:
I suspect that a lot of people define "food" as something you heat in the
microwave. If you actually have to prepare it...rice, potatoes, etc. (i.e.
the things 'low food security' people have lived on for centuries)...it's
not 'food'.

Do you really think that people who have nothing else to eat in the
house would refuse to cook a potato?
How would you eat it in a hotel room? In a cardboard box? Even microwave ready food is often not useful.
Next level up, slum apartment, needs enough finances to have and power a microwave.
Next up, inadequate house- adequate house, uses most of income on preprocessed foods, for which they work so many hours they are not home to cook.
Next up, overage house, use time for supporting house, processed food, "health," and staff to clean and repair.
(we do have a few rich now employing organic gardeners and cooks in personal staff around here, but I consider them exceptions.)

My point is, the skill level of what to do with a potato is way down.
If we don't allow immigrants who have agriculture in their upbringing to be among our impoverished populace they will starve.

Kathyann