homestead - [Homestead] Winter

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Winter
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 23:03:15 -0800

Well, what a difference a day makes! Yesterday it was balmy and in the low
70s. Today, ice cold in and raining. Winter is here with a vengence!

We got 3.5 cords of wood in but DH likes "insurance" as he calls it and is
putting up another cord. We filled bins with kindling and filled the old
weird chicken house with more kindling. The first year here, DH thought I
was weird with my obsession of having both cords of wood and lots of nice dry
kindling. Now he's a believer <g>

We have a hot tub, came with the place, and it "belongs" to the youngest.
She sanded it down and put a couple of coats of spar varnish on it, so it is
looking good for the winter.

Took all the vent tubes down and cleaned them out and recaulked them. Don't
want to have to climb on the roof in a bunch of snow because one of them was
clogged up or leaking!

We put up some special weird looking screens to help cut down on the heat in
the summer and discovered that they keep the heat in when it started getting
cold. We have two more windows to winterize this way.

Finished the thermal drapes for the living and dining rooms and new insulated
drapes for the sliding glass door. New door in the livingroom and
laundry/mudroom, so no more drafts there. New thermal blinds in the kitchen.
New window in youngest room. All I need to do is finish the new drapes and
Roman shades for our bedroom.

Happy Dance! Got a new oven and I can bake again! Did croissants the other
day AND THEY TURNED OUT! It has been TWO LONG YEARS without a good oven that
I could bake bread or pastries in! Pure torture!

We put a new gas stove top in and it sucks! It is going bye-bye! Can't
afford the induction but have found a great electric that has a 3,000 watt
burner that is at full power in 3 second! It has SIX burners! And a bridge
for my griddle. What more could a girl ask for <g>

Got all my herbs repotted from the raised bed and DH built a window box they
are all sitting in. Got the garlic in, the strawberries mulched and am
waiting for a good frost to repot the roses.

We are about as ready as we can get for winter and have dug out our usual
winter entertainment, seed catalogs <g> Hope everyone else is ready!

Lynda