homestead - [Homestead] Here and gone again

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Here and gone again
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:31:40 -0500

Well, I have the new computer, but little time to play. I now realize how antiquated my old system was, but I swear it is going to take weeks for me to learn all the ins and outs of this one. Is anyone else running Windows XP Media Center edition? Jumping from Win 98 to XP is culture shock.
I do have a few questions for all of you computer savvy folks-you haven't let me down yet!
1. What is WinAmp and why do I need that?
2. How many media players do I need and why?
3. How do I keep Windows Update from taking up all of my bandwidth with it's updates? It's running constantly and I still only have a 26.4 connection.
4. What can I do or delete to tweak things and make everything run quicker? I'm not used to having so many icons next to the clock.
5. Under Network Connections, I have two things under LAN or high speed internet, neither of which I have (only got dialup here). One says "Local Area Connection" and the other says "1394 Connection" The 1394 thing says I am connected???, but the LAC says the status is 'network cable unplugged' Can I delete both of these since I have a connection under 'Dialup"? What is a Virtual Private Network and why do I have a Netscape icon grayed there (status says disconnected)

We are heading out in the morning for a little vacation as the CANOE is DONE!! Off to the lake we go for some paddling and fishing! We'll be back at the end of next week and I'll try to spend some time online catching up with you all.
Hasta la vista, baby!!!!

Bev