homestead - Re: [Homestead] Here and gone again

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Here and gone again
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:40:14 -0500

1. What is WinAmp and why do I need that?

MP3 and media player, you don't.

2. How many media players do I need and why?
None. Windows Media player is standard. Some content is formatted for
Real Player. If you are still on dial up, you are not going to be
downloading video anyway.

3. How do I keep Windows Update from taking up all of my bandwidth with
it's updates? It's running constantly and I still only have a 26.4
connection.

I set it to notify me when there are updates and then a choose when to
install. Under security in Control panel.

4. What can I do or delete to tweak things and make everything run
quicker? I'm not used to having so many icons next to the clock.

Start>Run>type "msconfig" >OK

Under startup. You can uncheck things that you dont want.

5. Under Network Connections, I have two things under LAN or high speed
internet, neither of which I have (only got dialup here). One says
"Local Area Connection" and the other says "1394 Connection" The 1394
thing says I am connected???, but the LAC says the status is 'network
cable unplugged' Can I delete both of these since I have a connection
under 'Dialup"? What is a Virtual Private Network and why do I have a
Netscape icon grayed there (status says disconnected)

Disable them.

Have fun out on the canoe and vacationing!

Rob